Monday, August 1, 2011

A few lines

I have some great books to share with you!  I haven't been reading as much as usual but I have read a few in the last few months.  The first was gifted to me for Christmas from my sister.

By Tatiana de Rosnay
I wanted to keep reading till my eyes quit on me! It was a haunting, fictional story about the non-fictional event of the Vel' d'Hiv roundup.  The roundup of French Jews took place Paris, July 1942.  The secrets and storyline played out until the very end.  It tells of a journalist in modern day France piecing together the harrowing story of a girl named Sarah who lived through the roundup but who had kept many secrets throughout her entire life.  I strongly recommend this book if you love French, and/or WWII history, it will not dissapoint!
oh P.S.  I just found out last week that they made a movie so I will definitely be checking that out!

The second book is ,of course, 

 Yay for my dear friend who kindly lent this to me.  Another one I just couldn't put down! The Help is a story of just that, the help in the homes of the white citizens of Jackson, Mississippi in 1962.  A young women named Skeeter decides to write stories from the view of the help. All amidst the civil rights movement, Skeeter finds herself putting their lives on the line to cross color barriers and learning ,amongst her friends and family, what side they are on. Although it is written by a white author, who herself grew up in a southern home with "help" (I'm not quite sure what to think about that) the side of the "help" was written so incredibly well. You immerse yourself fully into the characters as if it was truly them that wrote of their life. I can't wait to see the movie!!
Have any good book suggestions??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love & appreciate your comments!